Baked empanadas are super easy to make, and if you stuff them with Guava jam, well, you just created a super quick dessert that will please the masses.
To make them look irresistible, I sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Then I simmer a 50:50 ratio of guava jam and water over the stovetop to create a sauce and drizzle it on top.
Side note: If you plan on frying the empanadas instead, I recommend using guava paste instead of the jam.
Table of Contents
Can You Buy Empanada Dough?
Yes, and I encourage you to. I’ve used several brands for baked empanadas and recommend Puff Pastry Dough For Turnovers by Goya.
Although the recipe below is for baked empanadas containing cream cheese and guava jam, I have used the same pastry dough to bake my beef empanadas.
It’s a lighter and healthy version, although I prefer the taste of fried beef empanadas. Further, you could stuff the empanadas dough with seasoned chicken, shrimp, eggs and ham or just about anything you could think of.
Easy Baked Empanadas With Guava Jam and Cream Cheese
- 1 pkg Puff pastry dough for empanadas
- 1 8oz Cream cheese
- 1 Guava jam
- Powdered sugar For presentation
- 1 Egg yolk For egg wash
- Water To create egg wash and guava sauce
- How To Make Cream Cheese and Guava Baked Empanadas
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Allow your empanada disc to reach room temperature before assembling since this will make the dough easier to work with.
- Next, take your empanada disc and lay cream cheese and guava over half of the circle. I usually add about 1.5 teaspoons of each.
- Fold the empty half over the dough containing the filling. If the edges do not stick together, moisten the edges with water before using a fork to crimp the edges.
- Add An Egg Wash To Your Baked Empanadas For A Shiny Finish
- To create an egg wash mix together an egg yolk and a little bit of water. Coat the entire empanada.
- Bake until golden brown which is about 20 to 25 minutes.
Since baked empanadas are easy to make, I usually keep empanada dough in my freezer for emergencies. Filling them with Guava jam makes for an effortless last-minute dessert.
Some of those emergencies also mean “I need my guava fix.” Lastly, for home-related tips and tricks drop by anytime. Hey, we’re always up for company. In the meantime, you may enjoy this recipe, Beef Empanadas Recipe | A Family Tradition.